Thursday 15 January 2015

L'Oréal True Match: Review



I'd heard great things about L'Oréal True Match, and there was a lot of hype about it online. A lot of people say it's their Holy Grail so I had to try it. I had 7 at least half full bottles of foundation so I couldn't justify buying another one until some of those were gone. That was until I came across it for €8 in the exact shade I wanted in a Christmas Sale. It was almost half price, it would've been rude not to buy it! 

With regard to coverage I'd say it's medium to full, buildable. It's similar to Revlon ColorStay, but it feels so much lighter on the skin. Because it's a thinner consistency I think the coverage starts slightly lighter than ColorStay, but only slightly, and it's easily buildable to the same level. It doesn't go patchy during the day, and with my commute to work I easily wear this for over 12 hours a day and I'm always happy with it by the time I'm taking it off. 

Initially I had a problem with it which I'd never experienced with any other foundation. It applied fine in the morning, but by evening my face was quite oily, and the colour had oxidised and darkened a little. My skin is normal to combination so this was very unusual. I'd been using my Bourjois Healthy Balance powder which is a very fine, light powder, so I switched to Rimmel Stay Matte which is a good bit heavier and now it's perfect! It doesn't go oily at all, and it’s the exact same colour when I put it on as it is when I take it off. You may not have this problem, but if you do then try a slightly heavier, more mattifying powder, that will probably solve it. However, I would be inclined to think this wouldn't work for oily skins at all. 

Another thing that intrigued me about this was the colour range. I love the idea of the colours being divided into ranges of cool, neutral, and warm undertones. Far too often I've bought a foundation thinking it's the right colour, only to find out in natural light it's actually too cool/pink for me. I wish every company would name their colours like this, it would save so much heartache. 



I guessed I'd be neutral and I was right. I initially bought the colour N4, which is perfect with a decent tan, but as it got closer to Christmas I got lazier and lazier, and my tan application was getting lighter by the week. I then bought the colour N3 and this is perfect for now. I like that I can now mix two of the same foundation to get the right colour without compromising the formula. like that I can now mix two of the same foundation to get the right colour without compromising the formula. 

Overall this is an excellent foundation, and absolutely deserves Holy Grail status. I thought I loved Revlon ColorStay and then I met this. Medium to full coverage but feels light, it's very affordable at €14.99 in most places, and with this genius new way of specifying colours I'd bet anyone who knows their own skin could easily find their colour in seconds. I'd highly recommend it to anyone with dry, normal, or even combination skin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment